THE COURSE (subject to change or late season snow or forest service requests)
This area will be cleared out in the Spring to make way for current maps including a single file gps of the course
2017’s course felt harder than traveling around MT Bachelor by all accounts. We will see what 2018 brings us.
Please yield to all equestrian use while on the Metolius Windigo Section anytime before or during the event on all trails when at all possible. We do our best to let other recreational users know about the event the 3rd Saturday of each year.
Horses are large animals and need to know you are human. The equestrian groups know about the event, but you need to be aware while on this section and other sections that other mountain bikers and or trail runners, hikers could be present. Stay safe and please know some remote areas of the loop will not be clear until 7-10 days prior to the event.
Things you need to take notice of:
- You need a strong core and upper body with all the singletrack. This is true of any activity, that a strong core will help but even more so at the High Cascades 100 where the singletrack is plentiful and 1000 bumps and dips await your body.
- Remember the Bend area is enormous and you are 1 of 50,000 people recreating that may or may not require emergency services. If you go down hard it will take a minimum of 2 hrs and most likely 3 hrs to get to you.
- Nutrition is so important to take in enough electrolytes and water while eating foods that work for you. Please utilize the 1 Gallon Zip lock bag option for Multiple places on course if you have a Go to food that we are not providing.
- NO spectators any time when aid stations are located at Skyliners Snow Park or Dutchman Snow Park or Lava Lake.
- If you want to volunteer firstname.lastname@example.org or use this link to sign up for those spots.
- LINK for 2018
- A Clean and dry bottle can be dropped in your Gallon Zip lock bag that may have a powdered mix of your choice ready to go with water from our aid stations.
- Drop points
- I front load all of my events to the best of my ability to weed out anyone that could be put at risk later in the day if it was too easy at the beginning. When I say 7.5 MPH will get you to the cut-off point this is the case and this usually means from 5:30am until 1pm make the Hard Cut at Skyliner Snow park at 1pm
- Crashing is not fun! Staying in the center of the trail will keep you upright to avoid soft corners that can exist anytime of the year and to any rider. Don’t let your competitive nature get ahead of safety when it comes to passing or taking chances as the steady consistent rider will prevail and find that sweet spot during the day and be able to adjust as necessary. Talk to others when passing and say thanks!
- Tiddlywinks changes each season so please pre ride this trail!
- Skyliners a mile or so from the aid station has two rock gardens that are not hard, just awkward. Please use caution!
- Last but not least is to relax and have fun, whether you are in front or towards the back treating this event like a ride with a bit of strategy is the best recipe for success for 80%
- Leaving anything on the course is not cool. Please make sure to label all of your dropped water bottles with your rider plate number on the lid prior to dropping the night before or am of. Please make extra sure to eat new gels from one pocket and stash in another pocket to be able to empty at the aid stations and not drop on the course. In addition, some packaging does not open well and ends up leaving little bits and pieces of wrapper that the volunteers must clean up so please know that you have a responsibility to take care of your litter while on course. Littering or dropping any gel packs or whatever will cause a DQ to occur. Please pack it out!
As always subject to change until a week prior per trail conditions Estimated Elevation Gain at 10,000 ft
Athletic Club to RD 300 to sort you out. Please obey the center line on rd 41 and rules of the road
RD 300 to Aid Alpha (1) (Drop Bags) and refuel and support as always from Sagebrush Cycles at all aid stations.
Aid 1 Wanoga Rd 4614 to Swampy Lakes to see a friend, refill water before going to Aid 2 at Skyliners (No Spectator zone)
Swampy to Skyliner Aid 2 Bravo aid Time to Hydrate as you leave Swampy
Skyliners Aid 2 to Supplemental Water both No Spectator Zones for each!
Supplemental Water Mrazek, Farewell and up South Fork back to Aid Charlie
(Please slow down when entering Tumalo Falls, very busy and 5mph limit) We have used this route before and its a short time until you get back on the trails. As always people will be on the trails and please yield for the safety of you and small children and others on the trails.
From Aid Charlie home!
Major Points on the course for 2017 and some important details and please email@example.com if you wish to be at any one of these no go areas below
MILE 9 RD 300 JACKETS AND GEAR DROP (MY TRUCK PRIOR TO CLIMBING RD 300)
THE GEAR SHOULD BE MARKED IN SOME WAY AND WILL BE AT MY TRAILER UNTIL 9PM Saturday night. MUDSLINGER EVENTS HAS A GREAT TRACK RECORD BUT CANT BE RESPONSIBLE IF SOMEONE ELSE PICKS UP YOUR GEAR ON ACCIDENT. PLEASE KNOW THIS AND THANKS.
Aid #1 Mile 24 Rd 4614.
15 MINUTE DRIVE FROM BEND
- Spectators please walk 1/2 mile from Wanoga Snow park EAST BOWL TRAIL HEAD AREA to aid station 1 (left turn and downhill after turning south off of Century Drive into Wanoga Snow Park)
(Do not leave Bend until 6am for the safety of the riders)
A 30 minute Time Penalty will be issued if you leave before 6am from the start to your rider. The riders need 30 Minutes to ride the 5.5 miles to rd 41 in the am.
Swampy Snow park at Mile 40 (NOT AN AID STATION, water only) Great place to pick up a Hydration pack from a friend!
- Friends can leap to this spot to hand a bottle up, but please please stay off the course. Area will be marked with where you can stand to support a friend
IMPORTANT AREAS and Cutoff’s (we always need volunteers and volunteers receive a BBQ, Shirt and love)
SOME AREAS BELOW YOU CAN’T SPECTATE DO TO THE AMOUNT OF TRAFFIC AND IMPACT RECREATIONALLY ON THE AREA. IF YOU DO COME TO ONE OF THESE SPOTS BELOW YOUR RIDER WILL RECEIVE A 1 HR TIME PENALTY . WE WANT TO KEEP PRODUCING THE EVENT AND YOU HAVE 3 SPOTS ON COURSE THAT YOU CAN VIEW AND SUPPORT.
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE BEND AFTER THE RACE STARTS FOR 30 MINUTES OR AGAIN A TIME PENALY WILL BE MADE ON YOUR RIDER…THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING THE SAFETY FOR ALL INVOLVED AND OTHER RECREATION.
Aid # 2 Mile 52 Skyliners Snow park (NO SPECTATORS, SMALL AREA) please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you can assist and be official at this spot)
1pm Hard Cut off at Skyliner for 2017
DROP BAG AREA 1 BLUE LABEL AVAILABLE THE DAY PRIOR TO LABEL A 1 GALLON ZIP LOCK BAG OR SMALL COOLER